Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tumbling Turkey 5K

Well, I made it.
I didn’t cry or fall …and I finished, so I pretty much met all of my goals. I ran the 5K exactly how I planned to and I was pretty proud of that considering the excitement of the race can make you throw all of your carefully laid plans out the window.  One thing I wasn’t expecting was how good it felt to pass people.  I never considered passing anyone, so when I actually did, it was awesome!
Another thing I didn’t expect was how hard the course was.  We weren’t just trail running, we were running on slick, wet leaves, through slippery mud traps, and over huge roots.  While I was running, I thought, “Wow, this is really hard! Yikes!” But since this was my first ever 5K, I figured it was me, and I just wasn’t as prepared as I thought I was.  It made me feel so much better when I was talking to a very seasoned runner after the race was over and he started the conversation by saying, “Wow, that was a lot harder than I expected.”
Okay, now I don’t feel like such a loser.
..and now my feathers are plumed out even further because I made it through a pretty tough course.
I had a solid finish right in the middle of the pack and I can say I am pretty relieved it is all over, but I had a great time.
The bad part was that I was supposed to run with my best friend Sarah and our buddy Jake.  Sarah and I have been getting up at the crack of dawn for 3 and 1/2 months. the cold the drizzle the cold drizzle
..with no performance enhancers
…Lance Armstrong could learn a thing or two from us,
and 36 hours before the race, Sarah came down with the mother of all stomach flues.  I felt so sorry for her, but I made a commitment and I was going.  So Jake and I headed out this morning without our third amigo.
Jake ran cross-country in high school, so I knew he would be way ahead of me and I was fine with that, but I did miss my running buddy today a whole bunch.  It did give me more resolve to run the race for the both of us, though.  And, bless Jake’s heart, after he finished, he came back and ran the last 500 meters with me, so that was awesome.
Here we are proudly displaying our numbers right before start time..
and here are all of our competitors..
Well, not all. I took this picture pretty early, right after we arrived.  There were 200 + numbers given out, so there were a lot of participants.
And here we are post race, right after we crossed the line..
(Jake for the second time)
..and yes, you should be jealous of my awesome pink beanie!
Then, we got FREE STUFF! I had no idea I would get free stuff for running, it was awesome..
free stuff
They handed out deodorant, (which I am not sure yet whether to be offended about or not) some sport drink mix, a sticker, and some new kind of tea.  They also had hot chocolate, but I didn’t think I could stomach that just yet, so I opted for water.
Unfortunately, I didn’t win a turkey, so that stunk, but I can say I officially completed my first 5K race and lived to tell the tale!
Will I do it again, you ask? …well, maybe.  There’s race in Indianapolis in December that supposedly has cookie stations through out the course.
I’m thinking that sounds like my kind of race, but Jake and I decided we didn’t want to drive clear to Indy to run a race, so then we decided to plan our own cookie race. Jake volunteered his Mom to bake the cookies, to which I replied that a better idea would be to just have his Mom makes us cookies and forget the whole running part, to which Jake replied, “Fair enough.” 
We’re so dedicated.
I had a blast and I am seriously considering doing it again, but I hope next time my running partner can make it!
Have A Great Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment